Prior to leaving for my trip to Europe my friend Ivonne over at Cream Puffs in Venice invited me to share five of my favorite foods as part of a meme originated by Melissa of The Traveler's Lunchbox. Fortunately I had a good excuse to postpone writing this as I was traveling so I had ample time to refine my list. Despite all the time to mull over my decisions I still had some last minute changes. I'm sure once I post this I'll think of more additions that I should have considered!
1. Gruyere cheese – my all-time favorite cheese. This cheese is amazing in fondue, melted over crusty bread, or simply eaten as is. Yum!
2. Caprese salad – so simple and so full of flavor. Tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella are the essence of late summer dressed simply with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. I especially love this salad with the heirloom tomatoes that are in abundance right now.
3. Bircher Muesli is one of my favorite foods – it is a sweet medley full of fruits, nuts, yogurt, and oats – it makes for a delicious breakfast or light supper served with some hearty bread and cheeses.
4. Fresh Maine lobster – best eaten wearing a bib with a little dish of melted butter near by for dunking the succulent pieces of lobster meat.
5. My mom's warm apple pie served with vanilla ice cream. Growing up we used to go apple picking around this time of year and when we'd return home we'd all anxiously await the apple pie that my mom would make.
And now to pass the torch! Sherri of Braude's Bites , you're it!