Genève’s Kitchen

Genève’s Kitchen header image 2

A Few of My Favorite Things

September 24th, 2006 · 12 Comments

bakery in the sky.jpgPrior to leaving for my trip to Europe my friend Ivonne over at Cream Puffs in Venice invited me to share five of my favorite foods as part of a meme originated by Melissa of The Traveler's Lunchbox.  Fortunately I had a good excuse to postpone writing this as I was traveling so I had ample time to refine my list.  Despite all the time to mull over my decisions I still had some last minute changes.  I'm sure once I post this I'll think of more additions that I should have considered!

1. Gruyere cheese – my all-time favorite cheese.  This cheese is amazing in fondue, melted over crusty bread, or simply eaten as is.  Yum!

2. Caprese salad – so simple and so full of flavor.  Tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella are the essence of late summer dressed simply with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.  I especially love this salad with the heirloom tomatoes that are in abundance right now.

3.  Bircher Muesli is one of my favorite foods – it is a sweet medley full of fruits, nuts, yogurt, and oats – it makes for a delicious breakfast or light supper served with some hearty bread and cheeses.

4.  Fresh Maine lobster – best eaten wearing a bib with a little dish of melted butter near by for dunking the succulent pieces of lobster meat.

5.  My mom's warm apple pie served with vanilla ice cream.  Growing up we used to go apple picking around this time of year and when we'd return home we'd all anxiously await the apple pie that my mom would make.

And now to pass the torch!  Sherri of Braude's Bites , you're it!

Tags: Memes

12 responses so far ↓

• Ivonne // Sep 26, 2006 at 11:28 am

What an incredible list! I’m with you on the lobster!

• Brilynn // Sep 26, 2006 at 6:27 pm

How can you choose just 5 things? I just love too many things. However, just having recently eaten some fresh lobster and my Grandma’s apple-caramilk pie, I know both of these things deserve to be on the list.

• Patricia // Sep 27, 2006 at 12:39 am

It was so great meeting you both in Copenhagen! Hope the rest of the vacation was a bliss! And you just made me hungry again =o).

Wonderful list, and I definitely agree on most (haven’t tried your mothers apple pie, but it sounds just delicious). And I’ll be trying out your recipe for Bircher Müesli – I’ll let you know if it’s the same I grew up with or not.

• adam // Sep 27, 2006 at 9:37 am

Welcome back!

• jenjen // Sep 27, 2006 at 11:57 am

Great picks, all classic choices that one simply cannot live without!

• From Our Kitchen // Sep 27, 2006 at 4:57 pm

I love gruyere cheese too. I just made some into a grilled cheese and it was delicious. Anyway, wonderful choices. Especially the caprese, I wish it could have fit on my list.

• Sherri // Sep 28, 2006 at 9:22 pm

I got a shout out on your blog, I am a superstar. WOW!
    I will start thinking…I’ve got a lot of cooking and baking to do this weekend, I am having dinner here before Yom Kippur….Will post within the week!

• Steve Woolf // Oct 4, 2006 at 1:09 am

Wow, all this stuff is making me hungry… Subscribed. Nice to have met you and Kareem at Canters this past weekend!

• Dan Strauss // Oct 5, 2006 at 2:26 pm

Your top 5 is making my mouth water, especially since I’ve been exposed to your tasty Bircher Muesli. Given Alicia’s allergic aversion to shell fish I’ll have to vicariously live through your enjoyment of the Main lobster (lucky!).

• Karen // Oct 16, 2006 at 5:55 pm

Brava!

• Bea // Oct 17, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Lobster definitely makes my list!

I hope you had a great time on your travels!

• anneke // Jan 18, 2007 at 3:57 pm

i’m annekes friend in belgium.She’s staying with me right now and she showed me your website. We’ve got hungry by reading it !I will take my time and look at it later! It’s I o’clock in the morning now and we haven’t finished talking for the day. Now Anne !Hi hon, I am proving that North Americans know how to cook too……