Genève’s Kitchen

Genève’s Kitchen header image 2

Holy Guacamole!

June 21st, 2006 · 20 Comments

guac.jpgI am very excited to share the first ever video segment on my blog. I hope to make this a regular feature on my site. As you'll notice when watching I'm a total newbie at the whole cooking on camera thing. (Most notably, I was so overly concerned with prepping my area that I completely forgot to get myself camera-ready!) My aim is really to help share tricks, techniques, tools, and recipes in way that will be useful to people. I am open to any comments or suggestions! When brainstorming about a yummy, easy recipe to prepare for my debut on camera I quickly came up with the idea of guacamole. It wouldn't require me to turn on a stove so that meant that we could easily stop and restart without interrupting the cooking process. Guacamole is always a welcome addition to any gathering. There is so much to love about this dip: the creaminess of the avocado, the zing from the lime juice, the freshness from the cilantro – all of this pairing so nicely with a salty, crispy tortilla chip. I hope that you'll enjoy this!

Guacamole

2 Ripe avocados
1 Lime
1/2 Clove garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons red onion, chopped
1 Pinch coarse sea salt
5 Grape tomatoes chopped or 1/2 tomato diced
1 Small handful chopped cilantro (if you're not a cilantro fan you can omit this)
Jalepeno - optional

1) Mince the garlic – when finely minced sprinkle with the coarse sea salt and mince together with the knife using the side of the blade to help mush the mixture into a paste. Creating a paste will help to incorporate the garlic flavor without overwhelming anyone with a bite of sharp fresh garlic. (This is a great technique to use when making tzatziki too.) Add to a small/medium size bowl.

2) Chop the red onion and add to the bowl. When choosing avocados make sure they are ripe – they will give in to the pressure of your thumb when ready. Prepare the avocados by sliding your knife through the top of the fruit until you reach the center pit, then run your knife around the fruit so that it breaks open revealing two halves, one with the large round pit. To extract the pit whack your knife into the pit so that it sticks and then turn the knife to losen it – it should come right out. Just whack the knife against your cutting board if the pit remains stuck to your knife. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh from the avocado and give it a quick chop before adding to the bowl.

3) Slice the lime and squeeze the juice from the entire lime into the bowl – the acidity from the limes will help prevent the avocado from turning brown. It also adds fantastic flavor. I like to use a fork to help extract the juice from limes – twisting it in the lime as I'm squeezing is very effective I find. (The limes that I used on the video clip had no seeds but if there are seeds in your limes you may want to squeeze the juice into a bowl to make it easier to remove the seeds.)

4) Now, here's the fun part: with a fork "mush" the avocado while also mixing in the garlic, onion, and lime juice. You can make this guacamole as chunky or mushy as you please!

5) Chop the cilantro and tomatoes and add those in – stir to combine. If you want to add some heat to your guacamole you can add some finely minced jalepeno at this point. Be really careful when dealing with the pepper though because the oils from the pepper are what irritate your eyes and cause them to sting! Also, be sure to remove the seeds and ribs of the pepper as that is where a lot of the heat comes from – the rib is that white part that holds the seeds to the flesh on the inside of the pepper. I've seen some people use rubber gloves when dealing with hot peppers – you can use whatever method you feel most comfortable with! Just make sure to wash your hands really well afterwards.

Enjoy with some tortilla chips!

Tags: Appetizers · Dip · Videos

20 responses so far ↓

• Ivonne // Jun 22, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Well done, Geneve! I think it’s fantastic that you’re adding video files to your posts. And the guacamole … too delicious!

• LB // Jun 23, 2006 at 10:56 am

You were wonderful in the video – it may even inspire me to learn to cook! Can’t wait for the next installment…

• From Our Kitchen // Jun 23, 2006 at 6:04 pm

I love guacamole! Great first video post.

• Kieran // Jun 24, 2006 at 3:21 am

Wow! You’re way ahead of me. Well done! It’s exciting to see things move on to video… But the most important thing is that I just need to be able to find ripe avocados in Ireland…

• Sarah // Jun 25, 2006 at 9:13 am

Bravo! I think your video is a fabulous addition to your website.

• Sherri // Jun 27, 2006 at 11:12 am

I can’t see the video ! my work computer is so messed up. Add 1/4 tsp of cumin, it is so good in guacamole !

• gabriele // Jun 27, 2006 at 5:15 pm

love the streaming video, congratulations! it’s great to see how it’s done. i got avocados and tomatoes today, can’t wait till everything is ripe to try.

• Julie // Jun 27, 2006 at 7:57 pm

I never would have guessed that was your first video post! You were a total natural and you looked gorgeous! Seriously you should send that post to the Food Network! I learned so many of your little tidbits about crushing garlic, etc, that may not have come across in a written post. By the way, can you recommend a good 8″ knife that’s not too expensive? Congratulations again!

• Jishman // Jun 28, 2006 at 7:13 am

I loved the guacamole video. I actually spent last weekend trying to make mine work without cilantro. It tasted great! Thanks for this!

• Riddle Me This, Jishman » Guacamole and video/audio blogging // Jun 28, 2006 at 7:38 am

[...] So, as many of you know, I have been searching for the “Great Guacamole Theory” — ie a way to make great guacamole without cilantro — well, while I think I might have found it, others seem to like cilantro. It is for those people, that Geneve Stewart (from Geneve’s Kitchen) has posted her guacamole video blog post. Her first ever, I might add. [...]

• Cara & Wilner // Jul 2, 2006 at 8:08 am

Wilner & I just watched your cooking video, he wanted to know if youre barefoot? and pregant? Basically his fantasy…lol. Your show was amazing, such a pro…we will totally tune in for your next blog show. We’re smitten..cheers!

• Sherri // Jul 3, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Ok, I finally got this working ! This is amazing. You are a natural, get a tape to Food TV for the next Food TV star ! Love the comment on the Corona for Reemer. I love guacamole so much, it’s my favorite thing in the world. The 1/2 tsp of cumin is so key and I am also a big fan of tomatoes in the guac.

As for the knife reco for Julie, the 10 inch Wusthof chef knife is amazing. I took “knife skills” at Institute of Culinary Ed and they said 10 inch knifes are so much better than 8 inch. They recommended Wusthof item #4582/26. The smaller the blade, the more force and stress you have to exert, so go for the 10 inch. A good chef’s knife should have a bolster.

• Bea // Jul 6, 2006 at 10:52 am

Hi Geneve! I loved the video blogspot and meant to comment earlier. I can’t wait to try out your guacamole recipe, the coarse sea salt and cilantro are a great recommendations. And you looked fantastic in the video, so natural and destined for the Food Network!

• irina slutsky // Jul 14, 2006 at 1:29 am

you’re a pro! no dead air, great visuals! good job.

• Scobleizer - Tech Geek Blogger » All links lead to Google video // Jul 20, 2006 at 3:19 pm

[...] A cool feature arrived today from Google Video: you can now link to specific parts of videos hosted there. The video space just keeps getting hotter. Speaking of hot videos, have you checked out Genève’s Kitchen, a cooking show by Geneve Stewart? As she says, Holy Guacamole. Stick that into your Google Video and link to it! Filed under: blogging, Video @ 3:19 pm # [...]

• Crazy Factor » All links lead to Google video // Jul 20, 2006 at 3:20 pm

[...] A cool feature arrived today from Google Video: you can now link to specific parts of videos hosted there. The video space just keeps getting hotter. Speaking of hot videos, have you checked out Genève’s Kitchen, a cooking show by Geneve Stewart? As she says, Holy Guacamole. Stick that into your Google Video and link to it! [...]

• Robert Scoble // Jul 20, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Irina, I totally agree. She made me hungry!

• My Foodie Life : Guacamole // Nov 15, 2006 at 11:13 pm

[...] Be sure to check out Geneve’s video blog and recipe.   [...]

• Riddle Me This, Jishman » Guacamole, my friend, my food // Feb 5, 2007 at 8:01 pm

[...] I love Guacamole. I wasn’t much of a fan until a few years ago, but it is like so many things that I didn’t like a child (see Indian Food, Thai Food, Sushi) that I now like as an adult. In fact, once I discovered that I liked “the guac”, I spent a lot of time making different recipes to see what I liked and didn’t like (and basically supported the local farmer’s market for avocados for the better part of 6 months). I tried Alton Brown’s, Bobby Flay’s, Emeril’s, and even the most annoying, Rachael Ray’s recipe, but I think Geneve Stewart’s recipe was probably closest to what I make. [...]

• eloise // Apr 11, 2007 at 5:45 am